Official Lessons and Trip Information
On January 1, 2006 we officially launched OSLC Men's Fly Fishing Ministry.
Payment for the Fly Casting lessons, Fly Tying lessons, and Monthly Trips will be spending an equal amount of time attending and worshiping at or
joining a Men's Bible study group availabe at Our Savior Lutheran Church, Tacoma, or one of the associated local churches
participating in our organization.
Fly Casting Lesson Info
The lessons include:
- Opening Devotion.
- Approximately 2 hours per session of instruction. Multiple and progressive lessons will be required.
- Extra equipment available to borrow if you're new to Fly Fishing and just want to give it a try.
- If you already know how to Fly Fish and have your own equipment, bring it and get to know it better.
- Explanation of equipment.
- Some entomology.
- Some knot tying lessons for most commonly used knots for Fly Fishing.
- Some explanation of the extra basic equipment and tools needed.
- Balancing your Fly Fishing system to the species you will be primarily fishing for.
Note: Fly Casting Lessons are now By Appointment, so contact us via the Contact Us page to set them up.
By appointment allows us to serve you best and be able to come to a location more convenient for both of us - somewhere in the middle.
The equipment needed for all trips will be:
- A fully rigged fly rod with reel, line, leader, and tippets.
- Your own equipment, i.e. extra leaders, tippets, flies, net, vest/fanny/front/whatever pack, tools, etc.
- Flies in the patterns recommended.
- All the fly patterns recommended are available at fly shops, like Cabela's, Wholesale Sports, Sportmen's Wharehouse, and we highly recommend Gig Harbor Fly Shop or Puget Sound Fly Co.
- Chest Waders - NOT hip waders, they will not work for most of the rivers and especially the lakes.
- A pontoon boat, belly boat/float tube, or just fish the wadeable areas from the bank when fishing a lake or big river.
- Sunglasses - polarized or regular.
- Some type of lip balm - like the sunscreen you will appreciate having this too.
- Your own meals and beverages - the heaviest alcoholic beverages allowed will be beer and wine.
- If it is an overnighter you will need your own camping equipment, inlcuding everything you need for storing and preparing meals.
- We will have a few extra fully rigged Fly Fishing rods available to borrow for some if needed. All flies and other equipment are the responsibility of the borrower.
- A camera to record the adventure.
- Your Bible if you have one - if you don't and would like one, ask us to get you one.
- If you play a guitar, harmonica, jews harp, kazoo, whatever, and want to play it around a campfire, bring it along.
- YOUR LICENSE!!!